Are you a savvy online shopper? Do you dig secondhand clothes, but don’t like digging through the racks of a Goodwill? Then Poshmark is the place for you.
Poshmark is a secondhand apparel and decor website (and app) where sellers can post their items and buyers can follow and search for brands and styles that they like. When the buyer is ready to purchase, they can buy the item immediately or submit an offer for a lower or bundled price. Poshmark includes all shapes, sizes, styles and brands at a range of prices, which are at the discretion of the seller.
Sounds cool, right? I know!
I have been shopping and selling on Poshmark since 2013 and I don’t plan on stopping. I am not a full-time seller like some people, but I have sold five items that I got back my initial investment on.
As for buying, I have bought 31 items off of Poshmark and know my way around the site. Here’s my tips on how to best navigate Poshmark:
- Know your measurements. With any online shopping, you should know your measurements so you can make the right decision on what size fits you best for a specific brand. Most sellers will post the measurements in the description box or will add them if you ask. (I have failed to do this too many times with second and firsthand clothing. Don’t be like me.)
- Ask questions. If you are unsure of a detail about the item, ask. If you need measurements, ask.
- Shop brands you trust. If you love Old Navy jeans, but don’t want to support their unethical practices, buy it secondhand off of Poshmark. This way you are supporting the seller and you can still buy the product you like and know works for you. And, you will know your size already!
- Bid and bundle. If you like an item, but think the asking price is a bit high, make an offer you are comfortable with and the seller can choose to accept or deny it. Also, if you find something you like, check the seller’s closet for other items you like so you can bundle the items together for a better price.
- Know the original price of the item. Do some research before you purchase. Some people will try to scam you, but most people are super nice.
- Be respectful, duh.
Now that you know what’s up, here are some of my FAVORITE things I have bought off of Poshmark:
Torrid Hooded Anorak Jacket – my husband once said that I looked good in Army green and I think about that every time I wear this jacket. Thanks, babe!
Toms Grey Wool Velcro Sneakers – these were part of a bundle and they are AMAZING. (Pictured below.)
Torrid Knee High Boots – a fall necessity.
Circus by Sam Edelman Camdyn Ivory Saddle Slip Ons – I think I have mentioned these shoes in every single fashion-related post on this blog, but most recently this one.
Matt & Nat Pacific Vegan Leather Backpack – this was a great way for me to try out a sustainable brand. News flash to all, it’s worth it secondhand and firsthand.
Brown Toms – I’ve gone through three pairs of brown Toms in this life. I ain’t stopping now.
Torrid Yellow Maxi Dress – when you need to feel like Beyonce in “Lemonade.”
Freddie Mercury Queen Enamel Pin – to add to my ever-growing collection of Queen paraphernalia. (Pictured below.)
ASOS CURVE Peg Pant in Sunflower Print – a beekeeper at a farmers’ market told me that bees probably like me because of these pants. These are my favorite pants. (Pictured above.)
Alice & You White Floral Dress – I was looking for basic dresses and found this one and the next one.
Alice & You Multi-Colored Check Dress – this was a surprising choice for me, but I dig it.
Eloquii Wide Leg White Jumpsuit – I had to get this altered, but it was so worth it. (Pictured below.)
American Eagle Shearling-Lined Denim Jacket – I needed a fourth denim jacket, obvi. (Pictured above.)
Adidas Adilete Comfort Foam Floral Slide – why not?
Blue Toms – Toms are a basic in my wardrobe. I wear them. Go through them and buy new ones.
Old Skool Vans in Black and White – I wanted to be cool.
El Naturalista Zumaia Closed Toe Sandal – my friend, Lora, suggested this sustainable brand and I bought these after paying full price for my first pair.
Now, just like any online shopping, I have made some bloopers and stuff I have ordered off of Poshmark hasn’t worked out. But, I think it is all worth it! Poshmark is a fantastic resource for ethical shopping and supporting small businesses or resellers.
If you check out Poshmark, let me know! You can follow me on Poshmark and if you make your first purchase, tell them your girl sent you.
Update on March 4, 2022:
A couple of these items served me well and then I donated them because I just didn’t wear them anymore. This included the anorak jacket, the wool TOMs and the sunflower pants.
The Vans simply weren’t my vibe, so I sold them. And I let go of the yellow dress because I found I had nowhere to wear it.
The Alice & You dresses became too small, as well as the shearling denim jacket.